Session 3: Categories of Theology

by Administrator 11. October 2015 10:09
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength  ~Mark 12:30

Writing about Session: 3 Categories of Theology, Craig Sparks shares his thoughts on one of the discussion questions.

Discussion question #2: Some Christian apologists (often called Classical apologists) believe that using the Bible to convince an unbeliever of a Christian worldview is impossible because the unbeliever does not believe the Bible. Do you believe that this is true?

No, not all unbelievers reject or oppose the bible. Some unbelievers have just not been exposed to the truth in the Bible. They have not had someone in their life or a believing church cross their path to encourage them to read and understand the truth that the Bible holds. Additionally, many religions and churches do not encourage individuals to open a Bible and read what it has to say and understand it, let alone apply it directly to their lives. Many churches hold fast to traditions and fail to adequately teach and encourage each member/attendee to see what the Word of God has to provide for their life.

I am an example of this. Where I grew up there were predominantly Catholic and Lutheran churches. These religions and churches were, and still are, all about tradition. I did not understand what the traditions meant; I just knew how to follow them. I definitely did not understand the Biblical truth that Jesus died on the cross for my sins. All I needed was for God to show me the path he had for me and to put someone like Tony and Theresa O’Tool in my life to lead me to a church like Lakeside that was different. A church that believes and teaches solely what God’s Word has to say.

This is a great reminder for me and should be to all of us to be comfortable and relaxed about approaching others and sharing our testimony about how God provided a way through Jesus Christ for our sins to be washed away and forgiven completely. Many people are just waiting to see that there is a different option in church than what their “normal” has taught them. God maybe have put me or you in someone’s path recently. Don’t ignore the Holy Spirit guiding you to talk to someone.

Romans 3:23-24 “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”

Tags: , ,

Theology

Comments (5) -

Korey Beemer
Korey Beemer
10/11/2015 8:07:09 PM #

Very good post Mr. Craig. I agree we should not try to avoid the truth of the bible. It is what our Lord gave us to share with others. Now, how we articulate it and find ways to get to those truths are another thing. These churches you were around mostly rely on traditions, and these are hard to break for many reasons. I believe this is a time of refining of the churches that preach the full gospel and those that don't. I'm thankful for Lakeside that centers it's ministries on the gospel. My prayer is that we use this class as a springboard to deepen our own personal walks with Jesus and ultimately minister to others where God needs us.

Bob Sweeny
Bob Sweeny
10/12/2015 4:57:01 AM #

Thanks Craig.  We all were dead unbelievers before someone shared what the Bible had to say about sin and Jesus. Weither strait from a bible verse or from someone's testamony of God's word changing their faith and life is still God's word going from life to life. And only God can open their eyes to it being true.

Steve Sloan
Steve Sloan
10/12/2015 7:43:40 AM #

Good job Craig. Your personal experience is a great example of how a non-believer can come to a personal relationship with Christ even though they might not believe or have access to the Bible. Besides, there is nothing impossible with God so maybe the question would have been better with the word improbable instead.

Frances Sloan
Frances Sloan
10/18/2015 2:29:31 PM #

I agree with your description of belonging to a church that did not emphasize a personal relationship with Christ. I thought I was saved, but had little knowledge or understanding. I am very humbled by the depth and conviction believers have at Lakeside. This class is a step, for me, in building a solid foundation in Christ. Thank you for sharing!

Jesse Von Behren
Jesse Von Behren
10/24/2015 8:14:00 AM #

Sounds like our backgrounds are very similar Craig. The fact that a believer is having a conversation with an unbeliever is an indication that the unbeliever has noticed something and  is curious or searching for some sort of purpose/truth.  All we can do is plant the seed by telling our personal story and then reference God's word in doing so. The Holy Spirit will take over if their heart is ready.

biuquote
  • Preview

Please enter the answer to the question below for validation.

Welcome!

Mon-Fri 8:30am - 3:00pm
Address:
1121 W. Bridge Rd.
P.O. Box 188
Polk City, IA 50226
Connect!
You can connect with Lakeside Fellowship at any one of these social networking sources!

Check us out on Facebook Catch our podcast on Itunes Keep up with us on Twitter Watch our videos on Vimeo See what we are doing on Flickr

Growth Groups

Announcements!
Childcare:
Wednesday night (Oct 18th): NO Childcare - Men's ministry night
Sunday night (Oct 15th): Silver's GG
This Week's Growth Group questions and podcast:
Podcast Questions

...past questions

...past podcasts

11/14/2016 7:08:00 AM
8/30/2016 6:21:00 PM
8/30/2016 6:02:00 PM
6/6/2016 8:48:00 AM

...more life stories

Powered by GenesisCore 2.3.3.4      Des Moines Iowa Web Design by Wolf Creek Technology